St Vincent's Hospital, Fairview
Service Users & Carers
Patient Information Leaflets
The following user-friendly printable information leaflets explain the symptoms and treatment for a range of mental illnesses.
To download or print a copy of these leaflets please click on the relevant topic. Otherwise go directly to the publications page of the Royal College of Psychiatrists for additional information.
1. Depression - main leaflet
2. Depression: Key Facts - a shorter leaflet
3. Depression: Carers - a leaflet for carers & professionals working with people with depression
4. Depression - a leaflet challenging our attitudes towards people with depression
11. Self-Harm - an informative leaflet for those who harm themselves, or think they might
12. Self-Harm: Key Facts - a shorter version
13. Cannabis and Mental Health - a look at the research into the effects of cannabis use
21. Bipolar Disorder
27. Personality disorder and its treatment - an article challenging our attitude towards people with
personality disorder and its treatment
28. Forensic psychiatric services - a leaflet for carers and professionals working with people in
forensic psychiatric services
32. Depot Medication
33. Schizophrenia - a leaflet challenging our attitudes towards people with schizophrenia
Medication Information Sheets
The following Information Sheets regarding certain classes of Psychiatric medications aim to answer frequently asked questions and provide a starting point from which you can understand why you may have been prescribed certain medications.
If you have any questions about the fact sheets or the medications please ask the Doctors on your team. If you wish to have detailed information about the particular medication you are on then please visit the Irish Medicines Board or the European Medicines Agency websites where detailed information about all medications (Patient Information Leaflets) can be found. The Patient Information Leaflets contained on these websites have been approved by the European Medicines Evaluation Agency and the Irish Medicines Board.
The Information Sheets have been prepared by Dr. Thakore & Dr. Schubert from St. Vincent's Hospital Fairview. Dr. Thakore would like to express his gratitude for the time given by staff at the Irish Medicines Board who were consulted for advice during the preparation of the fact sheets.
Mental Health Commission
Under the Mental Health Act 2001, the Mental Health Commission have published code of practices and rules for the guidance of persons working in the mental health services.
Please download a copy of these leaflets or otherwise go directly to the Service User Information page of the Mental Health Commission.
ECT - What you need to know about the Rules and Code of Practice on Electro Convulsive
Mechanical Restraint - What you need to know about the Rules on Mechanical Restraint
Physical Restraint - What you need to know about the Rules on Physical Restraint
Seclusion - What you need to know about the Rules on Seclusion